Friday, November 21, 2008

So Close and Yet So Far Away

I'll warn you right up front that I am going to whine a little.

We've been here for almost 5 months and still don't have the stuff we shipped a few weeks before we left Idaho. We were told it takes longer to get all the paperwork and approvals for shipments to Brazil and to expect some delay, but I was under the impression that 2 months would be the maximum. We have had some updates on the location of our shipment. Our first update came from Lucy. She asked me if I knew our stuff had gone to the Philippines. What?!!!? I hadn't heard a word about it. The office in Sao Paulo had called every so often to say the stuff had left Idaho, or that it was still in the United States waiting for clearance or something, but they us had not called about that. Lucy heard it from a lady that stopped in at Mini Bazaar who had just returned from her mission in the Philippines. That made me worry a little and I called to see if it was really even true. They said it was true but not to worry because they had located in in Manilla and it was on its way to Miami. Great.

About a month ago we heard it was in Brazil. Then we heard Rio de Janeiro. At least it was heading the right way. Then we got a call that it would be here, in Fortaleza, on Mon. November 10th. Yippee!! I waited all day. Nothing. Nothing all week. Two days ago we find out it is here. Yippee again! But wait...it is sitting at the airport and won't be released until someone pays $RS700, about $370.00, in state tariffs or taxes or something. Our state just happens to be one of the few that requires it. *#/@*# &*# Curses! Sao Paulo office tells us that they think we can get around it if we can find a lawyer that knows about such things. Great.

At this point I am wondering just how bad I want my salad spinner anyway. I mean it's really only 4 boxes of stuff and this would give me an excuse to buy some new clothes that might actually be better for the climate here anyway. But then I remember there are some pretty important things in there, like my recipes and family pictures and my sewing machine and Dangit!...............
I want my stuff!

7 comments:

Lucy said...

How much money is that in Americanese? That is so sad....and you've been very patient, so a little whining is appropriate! Do you know any lawyers there? Like you said, GREAT.

Becca's Blog said...

I see that you saw the name I gave myself on your blogroll and changed it! You're fast.

And why don't you just pay to get your stuff so you can have it now and then get a lawyer to try and fight it for you and get your money back later?

Actually a lawyer might cost more than the 700 Reais they are trying to make you pay. Look on the bright side...the dollar is still strong right now.

Kim-may said...

i cant believe they are making you pay for it.
so lame - sorry mil

Battfam said...

We got a call from Sao Paulo yesterday and we hear things got worked out. We should have our boxes by Wednesday without having to pay the $370. I don't know who to thank, but maybe I won't worry about that until we actually get the stuff.

Cassie said...

Yay for Wednesday!......I hope.

Becky said...

It will be a Thanksgiving miracle if it gets there!!
Are you guys doing Thanksgiving?

Chris and Cindy said...

Hi Millie and Pres! I found your blog through Becca's... hope you don't mind.... I can't believe you have lived 5 months without your salad spinner!!!!! I hope you get your boxes soon and have a happy thanksgiving!
Cindy Rae