Monday, January 21, 2008

There Must Be 50 Ways to Leave Your Dentist

I've been going to the same dentist for over 25 years. He's looked down my throat. I've looked up his nose. I guess you could say we were close. And yet I think it's time to move on. I'm not sure how to tell him there is someone new. He's always been thorough, gentle, and a good one sided conversationalist. He seemed to know just what my gurgles, sputters, and guttural noises meant. But my nephew has started his own practice. I hear he's good and I want to support him. So, to my dentist of 25 years I'll just have to say... Thanks for the good times...the rubber dams... the goo in the throat for cap impressions... the root canals. But it's over and I want my x-rays back. Now if I can just get the courage to call him.

6 comments:

Becca's Blog said...

Here's how you quit your dentist. Stop making appointments...your dentist probably won't even notice. No offense or anything but he is probably more important to you than you are to him. That's how those kind of relationships always are...so one-sided.

Becky said...

I hear what your saying... You almost feel guilty or like your cheating. But what you need is a clean brake... then your teeth can get over their grieving and truly move on to the new man in their life. They'll eventually forgive you and the old dentist will probably just think you've gone hippie and are letting your teeth have their freedom, he'll just move on to the next open mouth and wallet!! So don't feel bad!!

LD said...

When is the last time you called a dentist's office? He doesn't answer the phone; one of his office girls does. You will be telling her, not the dentist himself, that you want a copy of your records. You will be able to do this with no qualms and no worries. Go to it!

Bobbi said...

The best and easiest way is to just flat out LIE to him....or he should understand that family comes first and that you will be leaving the country for awhile. On second thought, you probably shouldn't lie to him since you will soon be a mission momma. mmmhhhh----what a dilema!

Audrey said...

I wouldn't say a word... Let your nephew's secretary call for your records and hopefully you won't run into him or anyone from his office before June 22nd! By the time you get back he will probably be retired or too busy to fit you back into his schedule anyhow? (hope i didn't make you feel unimportant, i am sure he values you as a patient)

Unknown said...

Okay, we just did the dentist dump. It took a box of Mac & Cheese and a Dr. Pepper to settle me down on the day of the "break up", and that was BEFORE I made the call. I did try to have the new place call the old place to work things out without me...not such a great idea. After the new dentist called the old dentist, the old dentist (his people) called me to find out why. That must be when I blacked out because to this day I don't have a clue what I told them.
By the way - it was best move we ever made. cas