Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Day in the Life

Last Sunday was a pretty long, but nice day. Alan, Rebecca, an Elder, and I left Fortaleza about 7:00 a.m. and headed for a couple of the outlying branches. Sometimes I have to settle Alan down as he is driving. It's his most traumatic time. Sunday mornings aren't all that bad though. We had pretty nice road most of the way and enjoyed the scenery which I didn't take any pictures of. Sorry.




Alan had to interview a sister that was going to the temple for the first time later in the week. She could not get to the neighboring city where he was doing other interviews, so we drove to her branch in Russas. Here he is talking with the Branch President, his counselor and Elder Olivera. You can see how young some of the church leaders are here. They all look like missionaries.



They had fixed a house into a church for the branch. I thought it was so pretty. It had a fresh coat of paint, new tile, and just really looked nice.





Rebecca and I had time to check out the neighborhood a little and I got this cute picture of her in front of one of the prettiest little places I have seen in Brazil. It is just across the street from the church. The fence was low enough that you could see into the beautiful yard and we thought it was a great photo op.




We then drove for another hour or two to Aracati. They have two branches in this town, maybe wards. I can't remember for sure. This is the church parking lot. Ours was the only car there. These good people walk, ride a bike or maybe a motorcycle to church.



I had packed stuff for sandwiches and we had a trunk picnic. Too bad I forgot the knife to cut our buns or spread the mayo and mustard. We were hungry enough to deal with it though.



We had to hurry back to speak at a fireside which we found out started at 6:00, not 7:00 like we were originally told. We made it by the skin of our teeth, but everyone was in their seats waiting for us. How embarrassing. This is a picture of the bishopric and some of the missionaries that serve in that ward.



By the end of the day, I had to kick back a little. I found just the right spot to do it too.

9 comments:

Becky said...

That is an awesome hammock!! Is it in your apartment?

Battfam said...

Becky,
It is on the veranda thing at our apartment. They sell them all over this region. I haven't priced them because it was just here when we got here. I'm pretty sure I could get you one if you have a spot for it. They are comfortable, sturdy and I like that they have the lacy part too.

Becca's Blog said...

MOM you should have put that picture of YOU in front of the cute house on this post, not ofbme. That was such a great picture of you. But I love the one of you in the hammock as well.

Lucy said...

We enjoyed reading "A Day in the Life". Probably something new every day for sure. Great pictures, too. Thank you for the update!

sandy said...

hi Millie - Just wanted to say hi to you in Brazil. Saw your blog through Bobbi's. Hope you don't mind me checking up on you. You look and sound wonderful.. sandy merrill

Tallie, Aaron, Sterling, Avalon, Truman and Quin said...

So, Aaron and I are trying to figure out the church heirachy. Why does the mission president do temple recommend interviews? Is that normal?

Battfam said...

The mission president has to do temple recommend interviews for people that are in districts the first time they go to the temple.
When they renew them, one of his counselors can do the interview. He doesn't have to worry about it for anyone in a stake. There are 2districts in this mission and 14 stakes.

Bobbi said...

It looks like a pretty city! You are still looking great yourself.

Anonymous said...

I think I recognized your Branch President or Bishop and I think it looks like our Elder Silva. That is funny. I hope he is doing well. Tell him we said Hello.
Mary