Thursday, October 2, 2008

Food Dreams


Last night I had a food dream. I dreamed I ate an entire cake by myself. It was an almond poppy seed bundt cake with the drizzled icing and it was so delicious I couldn't stop myself. I was supposed to bring it to a family picnic. When I got there people started asking about the cake and didn't have it. I was just trying to think of how to admit that I had eaten it when I woke up. Whew! I was relieved to realize: a) I hadn't eaten a whole cake by myself, and b) I didn't have to explain what happened to the cake.

I can't remember having a food dream before. I've had dreams about tornadoes and flying monkeys. That explains why I don't like "The Wizard of Oz." I've had dreams about not being fully dressed, being unprepared for classes, and about being able to fly. I don't know what all that means and probably don't want to.

It's possible that the food dream could have something to do with the fact that food is what my life is all about now. I am always thinking what to feed missionaries, buying food for dinners, e-mailing family for recipes, hoping my recipes and other stuff soon get here, looking up equivalents and definitions on the Internet , and shopping for hard to find ingredients. I did find powdered sugar this week that has the same consistency as the powdered sugar I am used to. I was excited about that. I still haven't found buttermilk, sour cream, maple flavoring, marshmallows, dill pickles, black olives, garlic salt and other things.
In my search I have come across some things that are new to me(lots of fruits I don't know), some things that have surprised me (sushi is everywhere), some things that seem weird to me ( the boxed milk), some things that make me hold my breath so I don't have to smell them(the slabs of sun dried meat stacked in the stores). But yesterday I think I found the most amazing thing I've seen so far...beet flavored rice in Sponge Bob packaging, and yes, it was purple. What I'm trying to understand is could there really be a bigger market for beet flavored rice than say...chocolate chips or tortilla chips or any of the other things I look for?
I'm not complaining. Actually the hunt for familiar food is sort of fun in a weird way. And now, since the dream I can add few other things to my list of stuff I am looking for...almond flavoring and poppy seed. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Becca's Blog said...

No wonder you are having food dreams...you do deal with food and searching for food a lot. I remember we spent A LOT of my two weeks in Brazil in the grocery store. But you're right...it is kind of fun. Any luck with finding peanut butter again?

Myrnie said...

You have such a way with words. I've been trying to imagine life without some of those food items...it would be hard. I'm glad I don't have to spend any more time than I already do thinking about food. Hmmm...I think I'm hungry now!

Lucy said...

The picture made me think of that lemon cake that the nice lady from Blackfoot brought us at Mini Bazaar. That was one good cake!

Tallie, Aaron, Sterling, Avalon, Truman and Quin said...

Hmmm, I only have food dreams when I'm pregnant. Maybe your dreams are telling you something? ;)

Bobbi said...

I would struggle if I didn't have olives, dill pickles, marshmallows, and even maple flavoring on hand!! I use all of those ALL of the time. Is it legal to mail cans of olives & maple flavoring to Brazil??

hmmm said...

oh yum.
sign me up for some beet flavored rice!
(good luck with your adventures in the local grocery.)