Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Going Up?

We don't seem to be going to the sidewalk by the beach as often as we used to, so I have been walking the stairs in our apartment building for exercise lately. The stairs are right by our back door.
Yesterday morning when I came back and headed for the door, I saw a sudden movement that, of course, startled me. It wasn't a mouse, thank goodness, but it was a gecko/liazard/thing that was about 6 inches long. I let out a little yelp, my heart rate went back up, and I wondered how I was going to get past the thing to get back in the apartment. It had stopped right smack in front of the door and if I opened the door, I was afraid it would run in.
I went around the hall to the front door and rang the doorbell a number of times in rapid succession, as only a family member would do. I figured that even if Alan was in the shower or bathroom he would hear it and know it was me. I kept checking to see if the critter was still there and he was, so I kept ringing. When Alan got to the door I told him what was up. We just shut the door, went on with the morning and hoped the lizard would go away.
A little while later, Irene came to work. She usually just slips in quietly and goes right to work so sometimes we don't even know she is here. When we noticed her Alan told her about the lizard. She said she knew. It had run in the apartment when she went out the back to take out the garbage. She said, " It's right there." We looked to the corner she was pointing to and sure enough, there it was, all 6 inches of it.
We were both wondering why Irene didn't say anything to us or if she ever would have. Maybe it isn't a big deal, but we weren't that comfortable with the idea. While I was looking around for something to trap a lizard in, Alan opened the back door and headed in the direction of the lizard. I guess all those years of herding sheep paid off because that lizard headed right out the door and into the service elevator. I thought that was great, but I really wanted a little more assurance that I wouldn't see that lizard again soon. I ran down the two flights of stairs to the ground level so I could push the button and give Mr. Lizard a ride to somewhere besides the second floor. I really don't know if he was actually in the elevator or just clinging to the wall in the shaft somewhere. All I know is that I haven't seen him again and I have been watching very closely.

8 comments:

Becky said...

Holy scary!! And I was annoyed with the neighbors stupid cat coming in my garage... It could be a big yucky lizard!!
Hope you don't see it again!!

Curtis and Crystal said...

That's scary. I hope nothing else creepy is lurking around. I hate things like that. It freaks me out too. Anyways I set up a blog for my Parents so will you encourage them to us it? Thanks. It is battbillboards.blogspot.com Crystal

Audrey said...

You have the funniest stories there in Brazil! Well, maybe funny to us, and scary for you?!
I love that your housekeeper let the lizard in and didn't think anything of it! Funny how things are so different in different cultures!

Lucy said...

Glad we just have cats that act like the lizard. Park themselves right out our back door waiting to run in, or meow real loud looking for some people food. (they don't care for the cat food that's out there)
People there must think of them more like we do daddy long leg spiders or something.

Becca's Blog said...

First of all...I bet Irene tells her family great stories of her time spent with you and dad. I know I would.

Second of all...by the end of your time in Brazil you will probably be feeding the lizards at your back door and playing with spiders in church. You will forget what is normal. Like on my misson how we had mice in our drawers and did nothing about it. We just got used to it.

And third of all, good job sending that lizard for a ride. I'm visiting in less than 2 months so make sure to keep the place lizard free. See you soon!

hmmm said...

I've been researching reptiles for the past week & 1/2 for a logo project and I've decided that lizards/geckos are the least creepy of all the slimy/nasty/slithery pals in the reptile kingdom.

that being said, if I happened to see one of those slimy buggers round my corner I would have FREAKED OUT!
so great job holding your cool.
actually, you've got to be used to such things by now.

Kim-may said...

that is really weird that she wouldnt tell you the lizard was inside. you know how people always say you swallow a certain amount of spiders every year. i wander how many lizard/geckos you get cozied up to in Brazil per yr?

Myrnie said...

That's the only bad thing about having warm weather all year round...putting up with the critters that never know when to die! I think, however, that after your time is up there, you'll be laughing at this post.