Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Party is Over...Way Over

We knew our way fun Christmas was over when, just a few days ago, Alan was eating the last cherry chocolate the kids brought down. Is that a sad look or what? But we had a great time with our whole family down here for the holidays. Here are a few pictures of how it went.
We were absolutely spoiled this year, not just because all of our family was here together, but they brought us 10 suitcases , full to the max, of mostly food items, that we had been missing.

The trip wore everybody out so the first day, I saw a lot of this.




The tables were turned this year. We were opening all the gifts......


The kids were looking on with hardly a thing to open. Sorry, kids.

Thanks for all the nice things you sent us. Dale and Angela sent Alan this sheep ornament and that put him in a festive mood.
We managed to have a really nice Christmas dinner with most of the things we usually have back at home and a few new things too.
As is usual during the holidays, we ate a lot. Our waiter took a picture of us after we finished a meal at the churrascaria. It is one of those places where they keep bringing you different meats to eat and you keep eating it until you are sick.

We all posed for a picture after a lunch we had with one of our elders that was leaving the mission a little ahead of his group. I was glad the kids got to meet him because he was a really great elder.
Of course we went to the beach. This beach has some pretty interesting colors of sand. I liked the contrast of the blue sea and the terra cotta colored sand in this picture.

We rode dune buggies along the shore and up into some sand dunes.


We had to stay out of the sun for a day or so after all day at the beach. Let's just say most of us got a little pink. So we played games, mostly a variation of Clue that Lee and Kim brought.
It probably doesn't look all that exciting to anyone else, but we had a really great time. I'm pretty sure it will be a Christmas we will all remember.

10 comments:

hmmm said...

i bet it was SO wonderful to get to have the whole family with you.
AND
get to have some special items found in the states and not found in Brazil.

i know that this is not what it's all about,
and i'm positive it's so hard to be so far,
and i know that this might sound a little bit bad,
BUT
i want my mom & dad to go on a mission to somewhere away (different country perhaps) so we can go see cool places for Christmas!

hmmm said...

p.s. that's a fabulous pic of Uncle Alan!

Becca's Blog said...

Thanks for stealing all my pictures! Just kidding, at least someone got them posted.

Christmas was fun this year...even without a lot of gifts. It was just fun to be together.

Too bad dad's cherry chocolates are gone. You had a pretty sad look on your face too though when you had your last drink of real milk. I guess all good things must come to an end.

Lucy said...

It just looks great to feel warm....no coats, etc. Looks like a good time to me!

Kim-may said...

ha. i look retarded with that hat on. ah well. it was way too much fun and yes we got way too "pink"...

Bobbi said...

It looks like you all had a nice time together. Just looking at all of that food on your table made me excited, until I realized I probably have most of those items in my cupboard too. I guess I should realize how lucky I am. I am glad you had a good Christmas.

Audrey said...

Sounds like fun and no fair that you guys got sunburns on Christmas and we got stuck 3 times in the snow!
Kim told me how fun it was to all be there and I must say, next Christmas I won't have an extra body inside me and I am going to be hopping in one of those 10 suitcases..... see ya then!

Mardi said...

The holidays don't get any better then having family around. And going to the beach on Christmas? That doesn't happen in Idaho! Looks like ya'll had a blast.

Cassie said...

What a nice Christmas you had. Happy New Year!!

Anonymous said...

Love seeing your pics. Brought back memories of Christmas in the mission. We had kids with us every Christmas, and loved all the food they could bring. One down two to go. It probably feels all normal now. Mary Muir