Thursday, April 2, 2009

Is There a Nurse in the House?

One of my main jobs here is that of being the mission "nurse." So far I've dealt with quite a wide range of problems...sprains, headaches, flu, kidney stones, ear aches, head lice, appendicitis, cuts, acne, live bugs in feet and dead bugs in ears, not to mention heinous rashes and some of the more unmentionalble things that come up in a foreign country. Now that I think about it, a lot of medical problems are slightly unmentionable. It has surprised me that I have actually been able to talk with missionaries about some of these things and still have them look me in the eye the next time I saw them. (I, also, try to maintain eye contact.)

At first I felt totally lost when the missionaries would call. I really didn't know much about health and medicine to begin with and I really didn't know the Portuguese names for such things. But then the first mission secretary put together a sweet little binder for me with answers to common problems that he got from the web md website. He thought he was so funny when he titled it, "How to Save a Missionary's Life." A few weeks later I got a really good information packet from the Church doctors in Sao Paulo that had even more info and the names of things in Portuguese. I use it all the time.

Now we have two doctors, instead of just one, that work out of Sao Paulo and help with health problems in all the missions in Brazil. One of them even speaks Portuguese and will call the Brazilian elders if I need him too. They are great. Their reports back to me even supply us with quite a bit of confusion and a little humor.

We have received quite a few reports addressed to our mission, but about missionaries that are serving in some other mission. Or we get reports with one of our missionary's names on it with a diagnosis for a problem he doesn't have. Last week I had to call one of our missionaries to see if he really had cut his finger and had stitches and needed pain medication. I hadn't heard a word about it before the email report came and I figured it was for an elder in another mission with the same last name. But the fact that the elder's first, middle, and last name were exactly the same as our elder's, I decided I'd better check. Our elder was fine. He hadn't been cut, or had stitches or need pain medication and didn't have a clue how his name got mixed up in it. I don't know what happened either. I didn't want to call the doctor and embarrass him.

We got one today that was ours though. All the information on it was even right. It was the "doctor talk" that made us laugh. Poor Elder X.....He has a small bean shaped lesion on the upper portion of his leg near the buttock...... We must be easily entertained or just a little sick, but the word buttock, gets us everytime.

8 comments:

Lucy said...

Wow, Nurse Kratachet! You are going to have so many more talents when you get home! This one may top all though. A nurse in the family. That will be great.

Becca's Blog said...

You are so weird but I guess it is genetic and I got it too. One time when I worked at ARUP we got a sample in that was labeled "Right butt cheek fluid." We all thought that was pretty funny.

Bobbi said...

You got me at head lice...I think I would've lost self control over that one. And probably the same with live bug in foot and dead bug in ear!! I will be happy with my sore tooth. :)

Audrey said...

Haaa I am still giggling over Bobbi's comment and Becca's too! I can't wait to hear more fun stories like this when you get home. You will have a book full by then!
Ummmm nurse Batt.... I was wondering if you knew what to do with ummmmm munched up, torn apart n--p-l-s? If so feel free to have your doctor call me and tell me what to do.... I am willing to about anything at this point!
oh an ps.... my boys always tell eachother that they are going to kick the other ones buttocks. I know it isn't very nice of them to say but it makes me giggle so I let them say it.

Anonymous said...

Audrey- GoldBond generally takes care of chafing for me.
-Lee

Becky said...

I started itching in the 1st paragraph and haven't stopped yet... maybe I'm a hypochondriac~ would you mind asking the doctor about it when you ask about Audrey's munched-up n..pl.s!! Sure would appreciate... THANKS!!

Chris and Cindy said...

Hi Nurse Millie!!! Sounds like you are doing great... most problems can be fixed with common sense!!! But I must admit that I have some patients that come back into the clinic and I can't look them in the eye so you are doing better than I am!!! AND, I just wanted to thank you for the flip flops for Tessa... I LOVE THEM!!! They are sooo cute! I can't wait until she can wear them. We sure miss you guys... Hope all is well.
With Love, Nurse Cindy

Becca's Blog said...

MOM, it has kind of been an embarassingly long since you've blogged.

I'm sure you have adventures to blog about.

What about dad trying to make Rootbeer using 7-up and adding Rootbeer extract? That still makes me laugh.

Any new language adventures? Have you accidentily said anything dumb or inappropriate in Portuguese? Do tell...