Sunday, October 4, 2009

I'd Love to See the Temple

In case you missed it in the first session of conference Saturday, a temple was announced for Fortaleza! We tried to look up how long it takes from the announcement to the ground-breaking to completion, but I think it varies a lot from temple to temple. Of course, we are very excited about it and so are the members here. We heard people were cheering and hugging and that there were other displays of emotion and celebration at the stake centers around the city when the announcement was made. We missed out on that because we were watching conference at home on the computer. We had our own little celebration; nothing elaborate, just a little Woot! Woot! and maybe a high five. I guess we North Americans aren't quite as demonstrative as the Brazilians.

Right now the members here travel to Recife to go to the temple. They hire buses and people go for about a week at a time. I have heard people say how grateful they are that they are only 12 hours away from a temple. (How spoiled did that make me feel?) On a really good day, you know one without any sheep or cows on the road, I'll bet I could have been to the Idaho Falls Temple in 12 minutes!

Anyway, it's exciting news and we just wanted to share it. The work is moving forward!

12 comments:

Becca's Blog said...

Yay, it is nice for all the rumors to finally be true!

Why didn't you post that awesome picture I sent you?

Lucy said...

We were so happy at the announcement, too. Wow, Brazil got the olympics and now you guys getting a new temple! good news

Battfam said...

I couldn't get the picture to post. In fact I couldn't get ANY picture to post last night, so I just skipped it. Maybe I can post the actual drawing when it becomes available.

Cassie said...

Yahoo! Our family was so excited for you all when we heard your city announced.
I guess if you are home by the time it is ready, that will be a great reason to go back for a visit.

Unknown said...

I know this sounds harsh, but it needs to be said. As your eldest son, I am asking that you and all other bloggers on the face of the earth please refrain from using Woot! Woot!. Whether spoken or written, it has to be one of the most annoying and least intelligent sounding expressions ever used.

Becca's Blog said...

Woot! Woot! Woot! A temple in Fortaleza!

Battfam said...

To my eldest son,
Actually that was a little harsh, but I'll get over it. I really don't know why I use the W word. I don't think I've ever said it aloud in my life. I think it is because I am never sure how to spell Yay, or Yeah, or Yea, whichever one is right. That is what I usually actually say. At least I got a comment from you though. I was so excited. I almost felt like saying the W word, but caught myself and then slapped myself just so I would remember to never even think about using it again.

Battfam said...

To my eldest daughter:
You are a bit of a smart alec, aren't you.

Unknown said...

Millie... you are so sweet with your comments. You are ALWAYS welcome to jump over to our blog!

TBUTT13 said...

Yeah! temple!! time to start saving the pennies!
thanks for the email sister batt, it was great to hear from you!

Myrnie said...

I was excited for you when I heard the temples being announced. You may not be there when it is finished, but you'll be there for part of the building process, and that's exciting, too!

Curtis and Crystal said...

That is way exciting. I remember the feeling we all got when they announced the Temple in Twin Falls. I hope you are there when they at least break ground that would be cool. Maybe Uncle Alan will help pick out a spot to build the temple. Keep us posted about all the progress