Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Contacting 101

When we were at the airport last week waiting for the new arrivals, we noticed this Catholic bishop waiting for someone too.  ( It is hard  not to notice someone in long black robes with bright pink trim and cumberbund.) 
Alan decided to strike up a conversation with him.  He is always telling the missionaries that you can talk to anyone about the church, so I guess he was just putting his mouth where his mouth is, so to speak.
I wanted to snap a picture just for the pink cumberbund, if nothing else, but didn't dare.  But one of the elders did and he sent me this photo.  I just thought I'd share it.     

8 comments:

Becca's Blog said...

Do you think if LDS guy missionaries had to wear robes like that if our missionary numbers would drop big time? I just can't imagine the heat of Fortaleza with a full length robe on. I also cannot imagine dad wearing a big old robe like that.

Well, I guess it's a good thing we're Mormon.

Lucy said...

I love that picture. Gonna save it with the last one that I loved so much. That is just great.
(Is it put you money where your mouth is??)

Cassie said...

I've always wanted to know if the colors of their cumberbund had special meaning/occasion, is it just preference, or they are up with what color is "in" right now? These questions fill my mind.

I like this pic.

Kim-may said...

i have always thought alan has the gift of tongues (or close to)

Becca's Blog said...

Cassie...I think the meaning of the color of the cumberbund is like a Karate belt...the darker your cumberbund or belt, the more awesome you are.

Looks like this guy isn't too awesome, or at least is a beginner in his field.

Battfam said...

Bec, I did tell the missionaries that were with us they should think of this whenever they get tired of wearing a shirt and tie. Also, can you substantiate your cumberbund color explanation? Maybe you got your info off of the karatekid.com website? Just wondering.

Cas, I am curious about the colors too, but I really don't know what they mean. I have a hunch that Becca doesn't either.

Kim, Were you referring to the gift of gab? Again, just wondering.

Anonymous said...

What do you think they wear under there?...or do you think they go commando? Maybe that's what they were talking about.

Jenkins Family said...

We love reading your blog and the letters that my parents forward to us. Thanks for being so great :) -Kathryn and Josh