Tuesday, June 8, 2010

New Chapel


This is the new chapel that was recently dedicated in Juazeiro.  
  The Church really uses quality construction methods and material.
 It is so nice. 



The inside is really nice too.  (There is another bank of pews on the left side too, but it wouldn't all fit in the picture.)  This room has air conditioning built right in so it is quiet and effective.  I almost got cold.  Almost.  The bishop's office has air conditioning too, but the classroom's don't.  More about that in a minute.


The choir practicing on Saturday.



Missionaries just chillin' while waiting their turn for an interview with President Batt.  They are a great bunch of young men and you can see they are enjoying the break from the afternoon heat.



Sunday at church, we talked to this young couple with their new baby.  He was so tiny;  about 5 pounds, I think.  I don't figure kilos/grams to pounds and ounces that well without a calculator.



Not the greatest photo, but I wanted you to see the nice basketball/soccer area they have.  The young people gather almost every night and play there.

I don't know about Elvis still being alive, but I do know about John Lennon.  That's him coming around the corner in the aqua blue shirt.  I know it's him because I asked him his name when I sat by him in Sunday School.  I wasn't sure I got it right, but then I saw it written on the roll when they passed it around and "Now I'm a Believer"  (Oh yeah, that was the Monkees. Sorry.)  



Remember I said there was no air conditioning in the classrooms?  Lots of the babies were in diapers only by the end of the meetings.  The little guy in front had had it too. The shirt came off the minute he was out the door.  I wonder if they will be able to talk him into wearing a suit and tie next week.


The location of the new building is convenient.  It's on the bus route and the bus stops right out in front.



Or, you can just all jump on the family motorcycle and "moto" on home.  I hope he doesn't take the corners too fast.

This new building will really be a blessing to the people in this district.  It's good to see progress. 

4 comments:

Lucy said...

That is so great for them. Are there many buildings that nice? I wondered if they get all their materials locally, too.
Very cool....literally....as long as you don't go to class.

Battfam said...

Some of the older buildings aren't quite this nice, but they have all been built well. I'm pretty sure they get all their materials here and the work is done by Brazilian companies.

Becca's Blog said...

That picture of the chapel almost looks fake, but I'm glad they got a chapel for real.

All I can say that if I went to church there I would probably be the Sacrament Meeting only type or I'd be in the Bishop's office all the type confessing made up sins...I have a low tolerance for heat!

Audrey said...

Very Cool! I didn't realize it was so hot there right now. Such a different world. I am trying to imagine Cole and Daws just ripping off their shirts after church! haaaa Also, quite funny that a family of 4 is hopping on their motorcycle! And here we start thinking about an suv or a mini van about that time!
Thanks for the updates... I love seeing what you guys are up to!
(bet you wish you knew what we were up to huh... i am going to do better...soon!)