Monday, February 4, 2008

Posting on Postum

What the heck! I just learned today that Postum has been cancelled, discontinued, no longer made. I couldn't believe it. It's always been there for me when I couldn't think of what sounded good and wanted just a little something. On the Internet it said it was dropped because of lack of consumer demand. They made it sound like the only people that drank it were 85+ and apparently the numbers in that age group were dwindling. I guess they didn't know about those of us, not in that age group, that grew up with it. In fact it's one of those little memories I treasure...my Dad asking me to make him a cup of Postum, really hot so he had to sip/slurp it so it wouldn't burn him. He really enjoyed his Postum, or at least enjoyed the noise he made drinking it. So if you see it, you better buy it because you probably won't see it again unless you want to pay through the nose for it on Ebay. Who ever thought you'd find Postum listed on Ebay? First they discontinue Thoro, a great cleaning product, then Postum. What's next? Oyster soup or Melba Toasts? What's happening to America?

7 comments:

Becky said...

That just made me think of this one time I walked into the dome and the office and Grandpa had his feet on the desk, the chair kicked back and he was drinking... I mean slurping a steaming hot BOWL of hot chocolate!! I guess he couldn't find a mug... and really wanted his hot cocoa!! I laughed and still do... He was pure comedy!! Oh-ya... sorry about the Postum... never had it and guess I never will!

Kim-may said...

seriously... i stopped by saving center this afternoon, and i didnt see anything, but i might check again. we could be rich!

Battfam said...

Russell walked into the house this morning and said, "I've already made money today." He pulled a jar of coffee flavored Postum he found at the Roberts Market out of his grocery bag. I guess there are some benefits to living in Roberts.

Becca's Blog said...

Postum is gross, but it does remind me of Grandpa F. It is probably a good thing that he has passed on...I don't know if he could live in a world without Postum.

P.S. I fixed your blog.

Bobbi said...

I too have felt that panick of a favorite product being yanked off the shelves! It was Surpass Gum for heartburn. It got me through YEARS of burning pain....but I guess the only two chewing that gum was my sister Audrey and myself. We suckered into paying a fortune on ebay ourselves. In desperation, you would do about anything! I promise to be on the look for Postume.

Audrey said...

I know someone else that is going to be devistated of this news..... Sweet little Grandma Fern! I have seen her enjoying a few cups while living with her. Maybe you two could start a support group??

Unknown said...

Sorry Aunt Mill,I've looked over West-Centeral Ohio and there is NO Postum to be found.
cas