Friday, April 11, 2008

Saving the Earth

All of a sudden I have tons of plastic grocery bags. There is hardly room for the vacuum in the closet it shares with the grocery bags. So about a month ago I decided I could just take my own shopping bag when I go to the store and eliminate all this bag build up. Since Alan and I are here alone I don't usually buy that many groceries at a time any more, and I have a sturdy fabric bag I was given at the gift market that I thought would work just fine. I tossed it in the car and was all set to go. I've probably been to the store 6 or 7 times since and never remembered to use it.... until yesterday. Okay, I did have to go back out to the car to get it because I didn't think of it until I was almost at the check out line, but at least I finally used it. I must say I was just a little proud of myself. Not just for the fact that I finally remembered, but because I was finally doing my part to save the earth. I hate to admit it, but as I left with my groceries in my fabric bag, I looked at everyone else with all their plastic and felt just a little "greener than thou."

10 comments:

Lucy said...

Yup, you're still weird.

Kim-may said...

very creative and very un lazy. i have a huge pile of bags in my closet too, and no that is not another acronym for ghosts in my closet

Becca's Blog said...

You make me proud.

Becky said...

Good for you!! And even better if you use your bag again next time!!

Bobbi said...

Carter's school has a few recycle bins that all the kids can fill full of plastic bags. The school uses the money on (I am not sure). He'd be happy to take them off of your hands and out of your closet. I am proud that you are doing your part to go green. I liked your touch with the green wording on your blog too.

LD said...

Good for you doing a small part to save the planet.
I think everyone's small efforts make a difference. Lots of libraries take donations of plastic shopping bags. Patrons, especially children participating in summer reading programs, need bags to take home more books and movies than their arms can carry.
Lucy BD

Becca's Blog said...

Hey mom...
Did you take that picture of the plastic bag stuck in the tree in your yard? Just wondering.

Cassie said...

Good for you! Even for just remembering!
Something just clicked in my head when I read this. My reason for not using reusable bags was because I have too much to get, but maybe I'd spend less if I knew I only had two or three bags with me. I might just try it.
I will also confess that I driven around with plastic bags stuffed full of other plastic bags in the back of my van for at least two months because I can't ever remember to take them into the store (they have barrels to collect them) when I go there. I always remember when I come out to unload the cart into the van. I'm almost out of room for the new bags because of the old! grrrr

Audrey said...

Today as I was leaving Broulim's I noticed the bags you could buy 5 for 5bucks! I almost did it after reading your blog! Then I remembered that I had two kids with me that I barely got out of there with out buying a cheapy toy and bubble tape and a red box movie and a dove chocolate and didn't want to have to go through or put anyone through that again! Next time... next time...

Battfam said...

Audrey, just ask your mom for some bags. They always give them away at market and she always takes them. She has a shopping bag fetish. Hey,I just remembered something. Mini Bazaar is giving away really cute reusable bags at the Mother's Day show. They might even be here by now. Hit your mom up for one of those.