Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Mystery II

You know how some people have Christmas miracles?  Well, we seem to have Christmas mysteries.

Last year we had Christmas Mystery I when we received a lot of gifts from an unknown giver.  This year our mystery involves an unknown taker.

We have a hall tree just outside our door in the hall of our apartment building.  Each floor of the apartment building only has two apartments and most people put some sort of furniture or mirror or decorations outside their door.

This year I decided to hang our Christmas stockings on the hooks of the hat rack/umbrella stand thing in the entry.  When we left for church yesterday morning it looked like this:


When we got back from church, it looked like this:


I asked Alan, "Hey, what did you do with your stocking?  Did you move it?"  (Up to that point, we hadn't really decided which stocking was his and which was mine, but since the red one was missing, I decided the green one was mine.)

I thought he might have taken the red one and hidden it in one of the drawers in the hall tree or something to tease me, but he said he didn't.  Of course I checked all the drawers anyway and looked around in the hall and elevator.  It wasn't to be found.  When we came back from a fireside last night, it was still missing.

We were bugged.

 Who would have taken it and why? 
 Why take one and not both?  
Who wants an empty Christmas stocking?

We couldn't think who would have taken it because we get along fine with the other people that live on our floor. Well, pretty fine. There has been a little coolness between us since their dog left poodle puddles in front of  both our front and back doors and I told them about it, in a nice way, because I didn't think I should have to clean it up.  I'm not the one with the stupid, yappy, hyperactive pet  fluffy, white, poodle.

So, after my shower this morning, I thought I would go check and see if elves had returned it in the night and sure enough, they had.  We have no idea who took it, where they took it or why they took it.  We only know that now we're back to this:


And we hope it stays that way.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY !








9 comments:

Becca's Blog said...

Ewwwwww...I hope they didn't do anything creepy with or to your stocking. Just saying...

Battfam said...

I gave it a good looking over when I got it back and even gave it the sniff test. It seemed okay.

Besides that, it's Dad's sock, remember?

Curtis and Crystal said...

It was probably a little kid who took it and when he got home his mom made him return it. Either way I would probably not stuff your stocking with candy or peanuts this year.:) Have a very Merry Christmas!!!

Myrnie said...

How often does that happen? Something stolen is returned? A nice reminder that all is not bad. Merry Christmas to you, too!

Lucy said...

I think she just wanted to get the pattern off of it. There you have it!

hmmm said...

Yep. The red one is his.

Nancy said...

I'm thinking someone just wanted the pattern to make their own Christmas stockings. So after they traced it, they brought it back. Not stolen, just borrowed.

Mardi said...

Great minds think alike, Aunt Lucy - the first thing my mom said when I read her this post was "Maybe they just needed a pattern."

Becca's Blog said...

P.S. The wreath on your door is sad.

At least nobody will steal it.